Author Topic: Pc won't boot with new graphics card (anymore)  (Read 6427 times)

Offline Stormin_Normann

• GraveDiggaZ
Re: Pc won't boot with new graphics card (anymore)
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 02:12:14 pm »

Stop embarrasing yourself GP, and you are getting us off-topic we have to help poor assy get his rig in order...

Offline groundpounder1

• Professional lurker. Amateur everything else
  • Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 02:17:11 pm »
Your text may as well have been a recipe for the perfect chicken pot pie for all the sense it made to the topic, not mine:-p I'll give you this though, this debate is interesting. Believe it or not, even calling Akai names everyday gets boring sometimes. But only sometimes :D

Offline Robba

• BadRobot
  • Administrator
  • Nihilistic Misanthrope
    • gravediggaz.org
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 06:16:19 pm »
Old PSU's lose capacity over time, what was once rated at 600w 5 years ago, will not be capable of that now as component tolerances flux over time.

I feel that its pretty obvious that the new card is drawing more that what can be supplied.
Sick of this life,Not that you'd care. I'm not the only one with whom these feelings I share..
Nobody understands, quite why we're here, We're searchin' for answers that never appear..
But maybe if I looked real hard I'd I'd see you're tryin' too to understand this life that we're all going through..
(Then when she said she was gonna like wreck my car... I didn't know what to do)

Offline ClassyJack

• Hipster Rockstar
  • Junior Admin
  • Indubitably
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 12:22:12 am »
Just some additional information.
My 620w PSU is now 4 years old. My Q9650 is overclocked to 3.8ghz, I have 3 hard drives, 1 ssd and 2 optical drives. And a whole bunch of fans.
my 6870 is overclocked, and the msi 7870 hawk is overclocked as well, and according to reviews I've read it draws more power than a standard reference 7870.

So I'm getting a higher quality proper 750w psu, and I'll see what happens. Worst case scenario if the 7870 still won't work, I bought a proper high quality psu without immediate need :P
Hmm, yes, quite

Offline groundpounder1

• Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 12:27:57 am »
Amen brother. And no bad thing. I suspect such a thing will solve all your problems. Ignore Norm and his old man wafflings. He went the route of trusting in the system and failed miserably. your new card is a beast and as such, requires a beastly PSU. Specially with the shit you got running on it besides.

fwiw i have about the same as you running off my PSU, apart from i have a phenom II black O/C to 3.6, and mine is a 750 ocz, had it 2 years or so and never a complaint so far. Better to be safe than sorry. Your PSU is the lifeblood of your system. Too many people think they can skimp on it and end up paying the price later on. If you can afford it, always go high end on that at least, then its one less thing to worry about in future.

Offline ClassyJack

• Hipster Rockstar
  • Junior Admin
  • Indubitably
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 04:20:06 pm »
I got me an Antec HCP 750. Great PSU, or so I've been told.
Plugged it in, double checked everything but pc refused to boot. Just finished plugging the old psu back in and everything works like a charm again.

fml
Hmm, yes, quite

Offline Robba

• BadRobot
  • Administrator
  • Nihilistic Misanthrope
    • gravediggaz.org
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 06:58:53 pm »
DOA?
Sick of this life,Not that you'd care. I'm not the only one with whom these feelings I share..
Nobody understands, quite why we're here, We're searchin' for answers that never appear..
But maybe if I looked real hard I'd I'd see you're tryin' too to understand this life that we're all going through..
(Then when she said she was gonna like wreck my car... I didn't know what to do)

Offline groundpounder1

• Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 07:08:45 pm »
RMA it. Obviously faulty. Don't have much luck you do ya mate :\

Offline ClassyJack

• Hipster Rockstar
  • Junior Admin
  • Indubitably
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 12:21:03 am »
Things just got weird. Just to make sure, I installed the antec PSU in my secondary rig, which granted is a lot less powerful, but also easier to tinker with, as it's more basic. My Secondary PC is humming away nicely with the Antec 750w psu. So obviously the PSU is not dead.
I'll try and install it into my main rig one more time. But I'm sure I didn't do anything wrong the last time.
Hmm, yes, quite

Offline Robba

• BadRobot
  • Administrator
  • Nihilistic Misanthrope
    • gravediggaz.org
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 01:07:28 am »
There is no way you'd ever get near my pc.

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

* Navigation

* Statistics

• *Total Posts: 19465
  • *Total Topics: 9645
  • *Online Today: 39
  • *Most Online: 112
(December 08, 2012, 10:48:53 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 31
  • *Spiders: 0