Author Topic: Building a new computer  (Read 2649 times)

Offline Thévol

Building a new computer
« on: June 10, 2011, 05:12:42 pm »
Hello,

I'm rebuilding my computer and because I've never built a computer with multiple gfx cards in it,
I'm not sure what these mean: 2xPCIE(x16), 1xPCIE(x1) - I know what PCI-Express is,
but what's with those numbers in the brackets?

Also, when I asked in the forum chat if there was a mobo with 1156 socket and Crossfire compatibility,
Pliskin linked me this: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L
And not long after that I found this: GIGABYTE GA-P55-US3L
The only difference the names have is the "US3L" & "UD3L" part.
I have found a decent site where I could compare the two next to each other,
but I'm still unaware of what these x1, x4, x16 mean. Clearly, the numbers have to do something with the speed of the slot,
but what difference do these make when I want to CrossFire two ATi cards? Any help?

I personally prefer nVidia, but the thing I want to use the cards for, nVidia doesn't stand a chance.

Thanks in advance!
Achievement unlocked!

Offline Robba

• BadRobot
  • Administrator
  • Nihilistic Misanthrope
    • gravediggaz.org
Re: Building a new computer
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 05:35:25 pm »
the numbers represent how many data 'lanes' the slot has.
x1 is,well, one lane. ok for soundcards and network cards etc.
x16 is erm, 16 lanes! most gfx cards and PCI-e SSD's are 16 lanes for best bandwidth.
Some motherboards that have 2 PCI-eX16 dont support both slots running at x16 with 2 cards installed. you may find it drops to x8 for both slots.
8 lanes is usually enough for most midrange gfx cards, but if you are buying the best of the best, you could do with finding a mobo that can run both slots at x16 if occupied with cards.

Wiki has an in-depth explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express
Sick of this life,Not that you'd care. I'm not the only one with whom these feelings I share..
Nobody understands, quite why we're here, We're searchin' for answers that never appear..
But maybe if I looked real hard I'd I'd see you're tryin' too to understand this life that we're all going through..
(Then when she said she was gonna like wreck my car... I didn't know what to do)

Offline Thévol

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 06:39:09 pm »
Quote from: "Robsta"
the numbers represent how many data 'lanes' the slot has.
x1 is,well, one lane. ok for soundcards and network cards etc.
x16 is erm, 16 lanes! most gfx cards and PCI-e SSD's are 16 lanes for best bandwidth.
Some motherboards that have 2 PCI-eX16 dont support both slots running at x16 with 2 cards installed. you may find it drops to x8 for both slots.
8 lanes is usually enough for most midrange gfx cards, but if you are buying the best of the best, you could do with finding a mobo that can run both slots at x16 if occupied with cards.

Wiki has an in-depth explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

Thanks, man that cleared up a lot!
I'm planning to buy 2 cards of ATi HD5850. That's pretty low-mid range I think.. even the price is pretty low (less than 130GBP).
The Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 has 1 x16 and 1 x4 slot.. the other one has 2 x16 slots. I should go for the US3L then, amirite?
Achievement unlocked!

Offline Robba

• BadRobot
  • Administrator
  • Nihilistic Misanthrope
    • gravediggaz.org
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 07:03:32 pm »
if you want to run 2 cards, your gunna need two PCI-eX16 slots. so, yes.
Sick of this life,Not that you'd care. I'm not the only one with whom these feelings I share..
Nobody understands, quite why we're here, We're searchin' for answers that never appear..
But maybe if I looked real hard I'd I'd see you're tryin' too to understand this life that we're all going through..
(Then when she said she was gonna like wreck my car... I didn't know what to do)

Offline Thévol

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 08:38:29 pm »
Quote from: "Robsta"
if you want to run 2 cards, your gunna need two PCI-eX16 slots. so, yes.
Alright, thanks!
Achievement unlocked!

Offline Thévol

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 06:27:14 am »
Is it possible to fit one GeForce and one ATi/AMD card into one motherboard, install the drivers properly, use one as the main gfx card, but choose the other one occasionally?
I have a program which gives me the chance to choose which GPU I want to stress, and I was thinking, maybe if I had an ati and an nvidia, even though the two cards might not work together while gaming (which is not an issue), I could use the ATi card for whatever and game with the GTX 460 I have next to it.

EDIT:
Forgot to add: The motherboard is not SLI/CFX compatible.. logically this wouldn't be a problem in this case, because as I've said, I don't want to use the two for the same purpose at the same time anyway.

Thanks in advance! Your answers are greatly appreciated!
Achievement unlocked!

Offline jopak

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 08:46:31 am »
Quote from: "TheDevo"
Is it possible to fit one GeForce and one ATi/AMD card into one motherboard, install the drivers properly, use one as the main gfx card, but choose the other one occasionally?
I have a program which gives me the chance to choose which GPU I want to stress, and I was thinking, maybe if I had an ati and an nvidia, even though the two cards might not work together while gaming (which is not an issue), I could use the ATi card for whatever and game with the GTX 460 I have next to it.

EDIT:
Forgot to add: The motherboard is not SLI/CFX compatible.. logically this wouldn't be a problem in this case, because as I've said, I don't want to use the two for the same purpose at the same time anyway.

you can have the AMD card as a main card, and a Nvidea card for Physx with the Physxmod http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/1770 ... -04ff.html

Offline Thévol

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 11:46:15 am »
Quote from: "jopak"
Quote from: "TheDevo"

EDIT:

you can have the AMD card as a main card, and a Nvidea card for Physx with the Physxmod http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/1770 ... -04ff.html

Thank you, but that isn't exactly what I'm asking here. As I said, I don't want to use the two for the same purpose.
But according to you and that link, it is possible to have two different cards from different brands.
Again, thank you!
Achievement unlocked!

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

* Navigation

* Statistics

• *Total Posts: 19465
  • *Total Topics: 9645
  • *Online Today: 25
  • *Most Online: 112
(December 08, 2012, 10:48:53 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 25
  • *Spiders: 1