Author Topic: Tips and Experiences  (Read 1736 times)

Offline groundpounder1

• Professional lurker. Amateur everything else
  • Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
Tips and Experiences
« on: January 06, 2014, 09:58:23 am »
http://www.gamerheadlines.com/10-tips-dayz/

Also a personal collection of tips;

Zombies are slow, and there are not many of them right now, due to restrictions of the alpha. Players are the real danger. Keep moving, and they can't touch you, lose line of sight and get distance and they'll lose interest. With a melee weapon, that isn't an axe (that kills em in one hit) circle around the zombies and swing. It takes a while, but I can kill 80 percent of any amount o zombies this way without getting hit. I have no problem taking on 5 or 6 at a time with a crowbar or something.

use the map and avoid on any server with more than about 10/12 people on, balota airstrip. Its basically a PVP area. Avoid Elektro and Cherno. These too are just PVP and people hunt in packs killing others, or sitting in the surrounding hills sniping in at people. There are firestations in these cities too. right now they spawn weapons and gun holsters as well as basic other loot. these too are to be avoided, as people all head for them after a restart for the fresh loot, or sit in them waiting for others to turn up and shoot you.

There are exceptions. If you are a fresh spawn, with nothing to lose, its definitely worth going to these places, as the risk V reward is high. If you do go to them, and find anything good, get out immediately. if someone isn't there right now, they soon will be. Don't sit in the open or in the place you found the loot messing with inventory. Do it later.

This isn't battlefield, or any other typical FPS. Some players take it extremely seriously. You think snipers who camp in BFBC2 are bad, then you don't know anything yet. Snipers or campers will sit, and I'm not joking, for literally hours without moving, to snipe someone or camp a stairway just for a free easy kill. Play it slow, you can't run about everywhere like a headless chicken and expect to live. The rifle will kill you in one shot, at any distance, and the handguns will kill you in 2 shots up close. Slow and steady. Unless you like to mess about like i do, then I run abut like a fool taunting people.

Food is paramount. Drink is not. there are lakes and fountains (marked on the map) you can drink from easily, in most every town. Its perfectly safe right now, but this will change as the alpha progresses, and infections are added, water purification tablets will become key.

Warehouses and industrial looking buildings, hold the highest chance of melee weapons. You can get them elsewhere, but these are the best places to check.

currently unarmed is the weakest, obviously, then baseball bat, then shovel, then wrench and crowbar, then the axe, then the firefighters axe is the best in the game. You CAN get headshots with melee weapons, and put people or zombies down instantly, but the melee is reallllllly buggy, and any such thing is more luck than skill, but its something to bear in mind nonetheless. Knocking out someone in one punch who has a gun would be majorly beneficial, as you can loot their shit even though they aren't dead.

Small garage looking places with red double doors in industrial areas or next to houses spawn the means for opening tins of food. so do the big industrial places. A knife and screwdriver usually. You can use an axe in a pinch, but it loses a high percentage of the food you open during the process. Tin openers are in the game, and lose no food when used to open. But they are rare as rocking horse shit. People WILL kill for them.

The map is freaking huge, but don't be daunted, you soon learn to navigate like you would in real life, and notice landmarks and roads and places to go. Most towns have the town name on the entry/exit road, so you can reference where you are on the map.

Navigation does work like real life. If you are playing on a server with day/night progression, the sun does rise in the east and set in the west, you can use it to find your way. If its a 24 hour daylight server, the sun is always in the same place, and you can use that too. At night, the stars are a fairly accurate representation, the big dipper does point to the north star, so you can find north.

I'll add to this topic as and when I come up with new stuff I think is useful, or if a few more of the people who come to the forum pick up the game, and never really played the DayZ mod version. I had loads of experience there, and while the standalone is slightly different, a lot of the information is still viable.

Anything to add feel free. Hopefully we can get a fair few of us playing this game and have fun with it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:40:51 am by groundpounder1 »

Offline Robba

• BadRobot
  • Administrator
  • Nihilistic Misanthrope
    • gravediggaz.org
Re: Tips and Experiences
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 10:32:54 am »
one of the bayonets (long thin one) give most food when opening tins at the expense of short lived bayonet lifespan.
Also, 4 door cars, always check em, inside and boot, usually nice weapons.
Like gropo says, a couple of good punches on a player will knock them out, steal their gun while they are down. do what you will after that.
Sick of this life,Not that you'd care. I'm not the only one with whom these feelings I share..
Nobody understands, quite why we're here, We're searchin' for answers that never appear..
But maybe if I looked real hard I'd I'd see you're tryin' too to understand this life that we're all going through..
(Then when she said she was gonna like wreck my car... I didn't know what to do)

Offline groundpounder1

• Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 04:33:18 pm »
Completed the first blood transfusion in the standalone today. Fairly easy. Red medkit box is needed (though not essential, as you can find the components separately). If you take blood from a person who has the wrong blood type and use it, it will kill you.

A workaround right now is to get the blood bag out of the medkit, give it to a friend. Have them take blood from you, then combine the bloodbag with the iv starter kit, also found in the medkit. This creates a ready to use blood bag. Have them then get close to you with it in hand, and give blood transfusion. It isnt instant, you gain 1000 blood back every ten seconds. This is your own blood so there is no risk.

If you are playing solo, another ghetto way to get blood back is to find a water fountain ,and drink until you get text saying you are full, then do the same with food, then find a place to sit down for a while. This will slowly increase your blood if you are well fed and not thirsty

Offline Netherr

• GameServer Admin
  • -oldest newbie ever-
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 10:33:53 pm »
so how do I get this Dayz: is there a free version or do i have to buy from steam?

Offline groundpounder1

• Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 11:54:47 pm »
the alpha version is on steam right now £20 in the uk, but as its developed further it will probably become more expensive.

Offline Robba

• BadRobot
  • Administrator
  • Nihilistic Misanthrope
    • gravediggaz.org
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 10:01:52 pm »
You and your body.
Sick of this life,Not that you'd care. I'm not the only one with whom these feelings I share..
Nobody understands, quite why we're here, We're searchin' for answers that never appear..
But maybe if I looked real hard I'd I'd see you're tryin' too to understand this life that we're all going through..
(Then when she said she was gonna like wreck my car... I didn't know what to do)

Offline Robba

• BadRobot
  • Administrator
  • Nihilistic Misanthrope
    • gravediggaz.org
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 03:26:49 pm »
Post patch health explained

Offline Robba

• BadRobot
  • Administrator
  • Nihilistic Misanthrope
    • gravediggaz.org
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 05:55:23 pm »
Change your name by clicking about on it in the bottom right of the login screen.

Offline Stephen

• Co-Founder
  • GraveDiggaZ
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 12:38:04 pm »
May have been said somewhere and may have missed....

You spawn...how long can you go without food?

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

* Navigation

* Statistics

• *Total Posts: 19461
  • *Total Topics: 9645
  • *Online Today: 29
  • *Most Online: 112
(December 08, 2012, 10:48:53 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 27
  • *Spiders: 3