Author Topic: Nexus modding tools and other useful links or programs.  (Read 10498 times)

Offline groundpounder1

• Professional lurker. Amateur everything else
  • Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
Nexus modding tools and other useful links or programs.
« on: May 26, 2013, 06:07:21 pm »
Greetings! As you must be aware, we are currently running two servers on the Nexus unofficial server. From this point on, we are looking for people  who may want to help in our quest to mod/change the maps, guns, flags, basically whatever you can think of, and to do that you need certain tools and knowledge.

here I will provide you a basic setup of things to get you started, as well as a link or two as sort of mini tutorials if needed, to set you on your way.

You will, of course, need the server files downloaded and ready to run, this is a self contained unit that, once you run, will create your very own version of an EA BFBC2 server. I will not link to that here, for obvious reasons, but the files are available upon request. The file is not huge, barely 500MB.

Here however, is a link of what to do to get your server up and running and testable. Once you have that sorted, its time to test it runs ok on your system, and then move on to modding what maps or whatever else you wish on it. http://gravediggaz.org/index.php?topic=3614.0 here resides a quick startup guide, for creating a new soldier on Nexus, and being able to connect to the server you are going to run.

Now then, a couple of attachments.

BC2Modv2.7z

This is the standard mod tool I've been using, I'm pretty familiar with it now, so if you wish to use this, I can probably field some basic questions you may have about it. The link is in the attachments below.

To use this, you will also need python, which is a programming language tool. Link to python is here, as you cannot use the newer versions available, so must use a version I know works fine on this modtool. You don't need to do anything directly with python, just install it on your C drive (thats where the modtool looks for it by default, if you install it elsewhere, you'll have to keep pointing it at the location everytime you open the modtool, which gets annoying, I speak from experience) When you boot up the modtool, click settings, and check the python path that appears in the popup box top left matches where you installed python to, otherwise the modtool will keep crashing out.

here is a link to a small tutorial about using the modtool above, covering the basics of map sizes, and editing other bits and pieces to get you started.

This is a link to the modifications board overall, you can browse and look through what others are currently modding and changing and see what is available to do with this tool on your own custom server map.

Any questions or whatnot, feel free to ask, I'll usually get back to you pretty quickly, if you wish to post any resources or tools corresponding to nexus or modding, feel free to do so, I will check them out, if they are good, I will then add them to this opening post for others to easily find and use.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bfeditor bfbc2 main: http://www.bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?s=d233d374f0ce543b2662670b80953cf7&showforum=55
pinned in that section:
- usefull files/applications: http://www.bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=14207
- summary of known filetypes: http://www.bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=14174
- information resources: http://www.bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=14189

Links provided by Dan
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:10:24 pm by groundpounder1 »

Offline king_george

• GameServer Admin
  • Oh, hai!
Re: Nexus modding tools and other useful links or programs.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 02:04:24 pm »
I've done some digging, I don't seem to find any tool able to replace/open already existing 3d models, of vehicles, buildings, maps, etc
Is this kind of tool even available? it would be epic, driving a mercedes instead of a rusty jeep, lol

Let the wookies hit the floor!

Offline groundpounder1

• Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 02:13:55 pm »
I don't think so right now. They are still working on the files pretty heavily, and if something like that was possible i'm sure it would've been showcased in the nexus forum by now. The modding tools are both pretty limited, but they are also pretty expansive in their own way. The best thing to do is go into the mod tool, open a map/level folder .dbx and just use ctrl+f to search for info all on one map, get used to how its all set out, get the GUID's the coords and look at the info provided for each vehicle/object/gun etc and working out how you could possibly edit it to behave differently.

Offline Robba

• BadRobot
  • Administrator
  • Nihilistic Misanthrope
    • gravediggaz.org
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 03:04:22 pm »
Just a case of digging about I guess, like gropo said, its all pretty new at the moment, so if you work it out, don't forget to share your findings with others. :D
Sick of this life,Not that you'd care. I'm not the only one with whom these feelings I share..
Nobody understands, quite why we're here, We're searchin' for answers that never appear..
But maybe if I looked real hard I'd I'd see you're tryin' too to understand this life that we're all going through..
(Then when she said she was gonna like wreck my car... I didn't know what to do)

Offline Byrd

• GameServer Admin
  • Newbie!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 07:53:54 pm »
ehm, jets anyone?

Offline groundpounder1

• Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 08:18:40 pm »
The BadBauBau guy is actually a member of the forum, he joined a bit ago, keep meaning to pick his brain about stuff

Offline king_george

• GameServer Admin
  • Oh, hai!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 11:34:32 pm »
So, he basically managed to replace/add models to the game, that's perfect news, it means I would be able to replace existing vehicles with much more detailed ones :D

Offline Byrd

• GameServer Admin
  • Newbie!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 08:55:15 pm »
dont get me wrong, i like that idea, just wondering if everyone would enjoy that. Why would i say such a nasty thing ;-) well mainly cause not all players have a good gaming rig. If too much details make them and their pc stand in awe, that could mean, that they wouldnt be able to play or enjoy that level.

Offline Byrd

• GameServer Admin
  • Newbie!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 09:01:05 pm »
i almost forgot, some links for when we go in that direction:
bfeditor bfbc2 main: http://www.bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?s=d233d374f0ce543b2662670b80953cf7&showforum=55
pinned in that section:
- usefull files/applications: http://www.bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=14207
- summary of known filetypes: http://www.bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=14174
- information resources: http://www.bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=14189

Offline groundpounder1

• Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 09:09:33 pm »
Nice one Dan, I'll add it to the opening post in useful tools

Offline king_george

• GameServer Admin
  • Oh, hai!
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 10:03:26 pm »
zomg, just getting closer to modifying the vehicles
I love ya Byrd! (nohomo)
By the way, about the detailed models making a game to lag: that's the user's choice, if he wants his game to lag, his game will lag, if he doesen't want ot, he doesen't have to install the upcoming mods :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 10:49:26 pm by king_george »

Offline Byrd

• GameServer Admin
  • Newbie!
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 10:27:56 am »

Offline king_george

• GameServer Admin
  • Oh, hai!
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 01:39:55 pm »
Lol, you want the American Revolution?
Might aswell include Connor Kenway, just to make it more epic

Offline -=EV=-

• GameServer Admin
  • Drunken cunt :)
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 05:50:44 pm »
Mods have come quite a way in a short time on nexus.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:45:17 pm by Robba »

Trying to live forever, so far so good!

Offline Stormin_Normann

• GraveDiggaZ
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 05:38:15 pm »
Mods have come quite a way in a short time on nexus.

That looks really, really good! Seems they took the plane physics from the singleplayer.

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

* Navigation

* Statistics

• *Total Members: 254
  • *Latest: Hewlett

• *Total Posts: 19464
  • *Total Topics: 9645
  • *Online Today: 22
  • *Most Online: 112
(December 08, 2012, 10:48:53 am)
  • *Users: 0