Author Topic: Emulator Nexus BFBC2  (Read 18634 times)

Offline Robba

• BadRobot
  • Administrator
  • Nihilistic Misanthrope
    • gravediggaz.org
Re: Emulator Nexus BFBC2
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 06:49:28 pm »
Today's stats for reference
Nexus: 900 online
EA : 2700 online
So, its clearly has a growing population.

Well, first job would be to speak to the VIPs, as technically, its their donations that keep things ticking over.

Map cycle
  • I feel with the ability to create custom maps, it would be silly to restrict what maps are run. But that's not to say we can't have more than one server running. If we go for it, the hardware requirements to run two servers would only be a small increase on top of what would be needed to run one server.
  • One server could be fixed to one map (modded or not) to keep the oldschool happy, and the second server could be a mix n match of all sorts.
Getting it populated
  • Good admin presence. As there is no official anti-cheat active, having a strong admin presence will be key. as you can imagine, being as people can download and play for free, there will be a fair amount of cheaters. Nobody likes to play with cheaters, and being cheater-free will be a strong point.
  • having sensible rules, and later on when we get it more sussed out, more unique maps will pull in the punters. Fingers crossed there will be players who show interest in getting their custom map included in rotation too if its good product.
  • Bottom line, if we run 2 servers, we have a great deal or room for flexibility.
  • There is so much scope for fun games when you have 30 CAVj's on a map, there could even be a dozen or more checkpoints (bases) its all down to how inventive folks can get with the maps. Fingers crossed we find some people who are confident with these types of things, as for me, it would be quite a steep learning curve.
  • It would be lovely if we could get some of the regulars from the EA server come and play on it, Like you suggest, we'll need to make announcements on the server, on here, and getting input from gamers and users (without hassle) would be key. Google Docs forms is good for this, you can set up a poll with plenty of info and options, In particular, we need to highlight the need for enthusiastic map modders of any strength & I can embed it on the main page so its open to anyone.
Finances.
  • As always we don't want to be out of pocket here, but there is no reason to 'make money' as such, all we want is to cover the costs of the hardware needed (which will be lower than what we are currently paying for a ranked server) and just enjoy a fun game, that's different from the norm, and that we are able to modify.
  • If we go at this with confidence, and do a good job, hopefully people will appreciate the effort and time involved, and support the server fees. If we lose ground on costs, we could cope for a couple of months, but not much longer as money doesn't grow on trees.
  • This, ultimately, is the big gamble. Although, one day players will have to accept that vanilla BC2 is dying, and make the switch to nexus to continue the enjoyment.
So, to reduce this down, we need...
  • Conformation from the VIPs that they are happy to move (their money) in this direction.
  • At least a hint that we will get some kind ongoing financial support, it would be a shame to close the EA server, start our own up, and turn it off again in a few months time as we ran out of money.
  • Skills appraisal. We need to investigate who would be on-board this project, and have the skills needed to make entertaining changes to maps. I'm sure a few of us may well be able to make simple changes, but more drastic changes will need someone who is confident with these things.
I ask anyone that is following this topic to please put forward your thoughts.
If Gropo is about, and feeling finger frisky, a concise bit of info covering the preliminary ideas would be nice to get out on the front page.
Sick of this life,Not that you'd care. I'm not the only one with whom these feelings I share..
Nobody understands, quite why we're here, We're searchin' for answers that never appear..
But maybe if I looked real hard I'd I'd see you're tryin' too to understand this life that we're all going through..
(Then when she said she was gonna like wreck my car... I didn't know what to do)

Offline -=EV=-

• GameServer Admin
  • Drunken cunt :)
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 08:23:33 pm »

Trying to live forever, so far so good!

Offline ivox69

• Never to old ;)
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 08:28:43 pm »
Might sound a bit dumb but do we just run the game we got installed or do we have to have another version installed  ;D

Offline Robba

• BadRobot
  • Administrator
  • Nihilistic Misanthrope
    • gravediggaz.org
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 08:38:49 pm »
Might sound a bit dumb but do we just run the game we got installed or do we have to have another version installed  ;D

Run the game you have installed already. there is 1 file you drop into the install directory which hooks in on the game client and points it to the nexus backend instead of the EA one.  To use EA backend again, remove the file.

If some maps are heavily modified, you will need to replace them on your machine, but there are plenty of mods that can be made to maps that require no changes on your pc.
Sick of this life,Not that you'd care. I'm not the only one with whom these feelings I share..
Nobody understands, quite why we're here, We're searchin' for answers that never appear..
But maybe if I looked real hard I'd I'd see you're tryin' too to understand this life that we're all going through..
(Then when she said she was gonna like wreck my car... I didn't know what to do)

Offline ivox69

• Never to old ;)
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 09:09:23 pm »
Well if its not to complicated I would give it a go  :D

Offline Robba

• BadRobot
  • Administrator
  • Nihilistic Misanthrope
    • gravediggaz.org
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2013, 12:37:32 am »
Ok, I've improved our resources to cope with a gameserver. 
What would be great now is a bit of help if you wish to get things moving along faster, or I can take care of it all, but it will be ages before I get round to it :)

Create a working server instance on your Windows pc, all in one directory including all maps and such that is needed. 
Try and keep it slim, if a file is redundant (and large) don't include it!
Once you've double checked the setup, and it's working as expected & configured correctly (including passwords and such for procon in the server .ini)
archive it up.
.tar.gz is preferable (with 7zip, tar the folder, then compress with gzip)
.zip if you really want to :(

When you are happy its done, pm me, and I'll sort you some details so you can upload it to the server.
Then I'll get the bugger running.

Once we are happy we have a functioning BC2 server, we can progress to map modding.

Offline groundpounder1

• Professional lurker. Amateur everything else
  • Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2013, 01:30:32 am »
I still have my working r25 version all foldered up with all superfluous files deleted. Probably just needs a quick recheck and procon details sorting out I guess.

Offline Robba

• BadRobot
  • Administrator
  • Nihilistic Misanthrope
    • gravediggaz.org
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2013, 01:39:03 am »
can you do the setup with R32? might as well use the updated server version if we can.

Offline groundpounder1

• Professional lurker. Amateur everything else
  • Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2013, 01:45:51 am »
Probably if I can find the d/l for it tomorrow. I'll start having a mess about with it again next few days and get it more or less sorted. Stupid someone else trying to mess when I have exoerience with it already.

Offline Robba

• BadRobot
  • Administrator
  • Nihilistic Misanthrope
    • gravediggaz.org
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2013, 01:54:47 am »
Cool, & don't stress too much stripping out KB sized files, I've sorted some extra drive space so we are not so tight on it.
Server is in Milan, Italy and I can ping it at 37ms so that's good enough for me. Fingers crossed it behaves when its up and running.

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

* Navigation

* Statistics

• *Total Members: 255
  • *Latest: Dearman

• *Total Posts: 19465
  • *Total Topics: 9645
  • *Online Today: 29
  • *Most Online: 112
(December 08, 2012, 10:48:53 am)
  • *Users: 0