Author Topic: Admin request  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Reecos

• Newbie!
    • http://bfbcs.com/stats_pc/reecos
Admin request
« on: August 21, 2012, 02:37:24 pm »
Ok listen up friends.. This may seem like an odd request, but i assure you that my intentions are correct.

I meet alot of morons on our servers at odd hours when no admins are on.. We talking stealing assets and destrying self assets and forceing people to die by shooting helis down with AA guns... frankly that pisses me off more then anything else in the game.. I belive in fair gameplay and i belive there is no room for morons on our popular server. And im new to the clan, so i have no rights to request this but im going to anyway and i hope you guys will use your best judgement... Whatever you deside is fine with me and will have no effect on my behavier in the clan..

I know how this works and i know you should put out the udmost best of behavier and dont let personal beef be your judgement.

My request is this:

What i wish is the abillity to put out warnings to people on the server and be able to kick if warning and diplomacy cant be settled.

Im not some guy on a powertrip and dont admire admin powers, but i see time and time again that we need more opservers on the server.

If my suggestion and request is granded, then i will make a donation of 20 euro to help support and keep our fine server running.. in addision i will make a mounthly donation of 10 euro.
But dont let my donation effect your judgement.. I will still donate to the server cost eighterway when ever i can.

Reecos

Offline -=EV=-

• GameServer Admin
  • Drunken cunt :)
Re: Admin request
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 05:44:28 pm »
I gotta agree with Reecos the server does need some more admins.

When there are no admin playing it turns into a messy affair and I have left due to prattish behavior along with a few others.

Just my 2 penneth :)

Trying to live forever, so far so good!

Offline groundpounder1

• Professional lurker. Amateur everything else
  • Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 06:18:59 pm »
I keep seeing mention of the place turning into some wild west free for all, and whilst I don't doubt it is worse at night than in the day, I don't think its really as bad as one would interpret from your words. When you compare it to the excellent service we provide during the day and most of the night, of course the one slightly dead period is going to stick out like a sore thumb, but that doesn't make it diabolical.

Even so, isn't this only natural? Of course there are less admins around at night than in the day, most of us have jobs, social lives or other pressing issues, like sleeping, but for the majority of key rules, the server auto enforces them for this very reason.

We have a fair few admins, some are a lot more present than others, but I think the situation is somewhat untenable overall. I think we could have 345,656 admins, and the law of averages and timezones would dictate the vast majority would all be online at once, and there would still be dead periods. Its the nature of the thing, and I doubt one more would change that. If you become an admin, are you willing to only work the nightshift? Will you never be around in the day, and be around EVERY single night? will you sacrifice your natural care free worry-less game, for constant vigilance, spending most of your time minimized, checking stats, banning players, running around in the uncap to find persistent baserapers, talking people through the rules, switching teams to the losing side and destroying your k/d to even the teams, assuaging hurt feelings, deeming who is and who isnt full of shit, writing forum posts about bans, trawling EA_GUID's and alternative accounts, and all that good stuff until the wee small hours? If you answered yes to all that, you are Mother Theresa incarnate, your talents are wasted here, join the church.

Seriously though, I appreciate the offer, and the acknowledgement that the server is worse at night, but I don't think there is a way around that on the whole. We've been at this game a long time, and you can just never achieve constant presence, and its unrealistic to expect it I think. Besides, as of late, the server has been dead overnight for the most part, as the game slowly declines in stature I cannot see that trend being reversed. There may indeed be a correlation between that and the trolls who come out at night, but see above for my thoughts on that issue.

We have never to my knowledge accepted a request to be an admin, its always offered after some sort of discussion. Its not a paid job and its a trust position, and trust, in my world, is something that is gained, earned, and rewarded, so even if the feeling was that something could be done about the small wee hours, I'm afraid we would still decline your generous offer, as its not a position that can be bought or bartered, but through the passage of time and commitment.

In future, who knows, anything can happen, and like the bond film, Never Say Never, but throwing more admins at the problem that has existed since the dawn of the server isn't the way I feel. Stick to the hours where you are safe, secure and looked after by a dozen admins at once, from 5am when i am up and pop on before work, to midnight and later mostly, depending on who is about and what plans they don't have ;D , the times we are well known and respected for ;) Let the trolls trolls each other.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 06:25:12 pm by groundpounder1 »

Offline Reecos

• Newbie!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 06:26:41 pm »
I think my post was misunderstod Thegrund.... nice long speach tho.

Appreciate the honesty and will forget this matter...

Offline groundpounder1

• Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 06:36:49 pm »
I don't understand. If asking for powers to kick people and the like isn't asking for admin powers, then offering monetary gain if the request is granted, isn't what I just covered, then I dunno what the point was? I apologise if I missed it, but I can't see another one? Even the ability to kick people is open to abuse, and I feel its entirely justified to only give such powers to people we have known for a while, surely you see the logic behind that reasoning?

If its the merest case of observing at night, that is easy, anyone can do that and report people using the !report function, without need of all the other hassle and stress. That notifies all the admins there is a problem, so if they are at their pc, or in the vicinity, but not actually watching the server, they will pop on and sort it. If the problem is serious, and if noone was around at that particular moment, they will see the report next day, check up on it, and the player will be dealt with accordingly, assuring they won't be back to do it again in future. I've seen nor had any such reports at night for quite some time, so naturally I assume things can't be that bad, or people forget this function exists for just this reason, so that the players and admins together can keep the place clean, and create a blanket of eyes on the field to help us.

Offline Reecos

• Newbie!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 07:45:18 pm »
Dont worry about it mate. admin rights is apprently a big issue and im ok with that... my request was denied and its all good.. No need to explain and analyze my post. If admin rights is only optained by trust and dedication and loyalty to the clan, so be it.

I simply asked becorse i notice alot of shitheads on our servers.. Daytime and nighttime and i thought i could offer an extre pair of hands.

A simply (Request denied) whould have been sufficient

Offline groundpounder1

• Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 08:00:27 pm »
I don't think it would've been sufficient, and neither would you if I had. I really wasn't going to bother at all, as offering financial gain for the privilege of being an admin seemed like a troll move, but I figured you deserve the common courtesy of a dignified well thought out reply, and the reasoning behind it to show that it wasn't anything personal. I DID try to be subtle about my reasoning, but seeing as you seem determined to keep having subtle digs despite me treating you with the utmost respect, I am quite frankly baffled, but do as you will, you aren't exactly endearing yourself any further, or making me regret my position of giving you any sort of power without any forethought.

If you DON'T think that having admin rights or that level of trust is a big thing, then obviously the correct decision was made :)

You'll thank me in the end, as I outlined before, being an admin isn't all about the glory of ridding the game of a vehicle stealer, its hard and time consuming work, and quite frankly when you are in game, you cannot enjoy it fully as even then you are spending time making sure the place is better for everyone else.

If you are around at night, as you say, or indeed anyone else is, the !report function is very useful for clearing things up, no muss, no fuss and no headaches.

This topic has run its course I feel, and an enforced politic silence may be the best solution. If you have any further worries/complaints/thoughts, don't hesitate to voice them, or contact me personally. As always, have fun, play fair enjoy the game and shoot those motherfuckers in the face!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 08:04:40 pm by groundpounder1 »

Offline Robba

• BadRobot
  • Administrator
  • Nihilistic Misanthrope
    • gravediggaz.org
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 05:35:40 pm »
While I've always felt one of two more admins would never hurt, the problem is, we've been 'stung' before with volunteers who behave a little 'over enthusiastically' causing more harm than good.
While I know we shouldn't paint every offer of help with the same brush, its difficult not to.
I do however, consider that you are genuine, as (don't take it the wrong way :) ) you have maturity on your side.

I'll consider your offer over time , and discuss it with the other guys, as, shame on me, I've not been paying much attention here lately, and am unable to make any suggestions on people I don't really know yet.

Groundpounder may come off a little brash sometimes, but that's only because he's spent too long listening to me being a miserable bastard, but what he says does hold true.
I guess it might look like you're are trying to buy admin rights, but I'll guess that was never your intention.
Remind us of your offer again in a month or so when we've got to know you better, and we'll take it from there :)

Thanks all the same, Rob.
Sick of this life,Not that you'd care. I'm not the only one with whom these feelings I share..
Nobody understands, quite why we're here, We're searchin' for answers that never appear..
But maybe if I looked real hard I'd I'd see you're tryin' too to understand this life that we're all going through..
(Then when she said she was gonna like wreck my car... I didn't know what to do)

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

* Navigation

* Statistics

• *Total Members: 254
  • *Latest: Hewlett

• *Total Posts: 19464
  • *Total Topics: 9645
  • *Online Today: 22
  • *Most Online: 112
(December 08, 2012, 10:48:53 am)
  • *Users: 0