Author Topic: New CPU cooler. Any input?  (Read 7970 times)

Offline groundpounder1

• Professional lurker. Amateur everything else
  • Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
New CPU cooler. Any input?
« on: November 28, 2011, 01:54:21 am »
As the title says. I'm in the market for a new CPU cooler and currently I am swaying between 3.

Its gonna be either;

ThermalTake Frio

Noctua NH-U9B-SE2

Or possibly a nice Corsair h60

Any input suggestions? Anyone have any of these? So far from all I have read about and looked up they are all pretty awesome at what they do. I'm erring on the side of the watercooled unit but maybe its not needed or isn't as good as people make out.

What ya reckons?

Offline Robba

• BadRobot
  • Administrator
  • Nihilistic Misanthrope
    • gravediggaz.org
Re: New CPU cooler. Any input?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 01:56:31 am »
[hs width=300 height=340]http://i.imgur.com/n7PuA.jpg[/hs]
Sick of this life,Not that you'd care. I'm not the only one with whom these feelings I share..
Nobody understands, quite why we're here, We're searchin' for answers that never appear..
But maybe if I looked real hard I'd I'd see you're tryin' too to understand this life that we're all going through..
(Then when she said she was gonna like wreck my car... I didn't know what to do)

Offline groundpounder1

• Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 01:57:54 am »
Fucking fat gay. Where do you come up with these things, do you have a folder on your desktop labelled "things I may need to troll people randomly" And have insert folders all for different situations?

Offline Robba

• BadRobot
  • Administrator
  • Nihilistic Misanthrope
    • gravediggaz.org
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 03:04:48 am »
Its just repost after repost really, but lucky for me you're thicker than pigshit laid last year in Antarctica, so you just never remember.
Sick of this life,Not that you'd care. I'm not the only one with whom these feelings I share..
Nobody understands, quite why we're here, We're searchin' for answers that never appear..
But maybe if I looked real hard I'd I'd see you're tryin' too to understand this life that we're all going through..
(Then when she said she was gonna like wreck my car... I didn't know what to do)

Offline Thévol

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 03:08:54 am »
Fucking fat gay. Where do you come up with these things, do you have a folder on your desktop labelled "things I may need to troll people randomly" And have insert folders all for different situations?
Hey! A well organized /b/ folder takes time to develop! Don't diss me just 'cause I'm prepared!

----------------------------------------

To answer your question:
If you want to give water-cooling a try, don't go with the Corsair H60! The H100 is a lot better,
but then there is the Rasa 750 RS240 which is outperforms all of the previously mentioned CPU coolers.

EDIT:
Benchmark:
Antec VS XSPC
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 03:15:21 am by TheDevo »
Achievement unlocked!

Offline slick

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 03:20:46 am »

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:36:07 pm by slick050 »

Offline groundpounder1

• Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 03:29:41 am »
thanks for the posts fellas. Yeah I have taken most things into account and while i could go higher in price regarding the cooler choice, as I'm not a huge fan of overclocking to the max and getting every inch of use out of my rig, I feel that anything more expensive would be largely wasted and pointless.

I have seen conflicting reports on the sealed watercooled units and was erring to that as maybe a cheap fit and forget thing I can live with and not have much trouble with.

I think silence is the key thing, coupled with maybe a minor overclock, as it would be silly not to OC when you have a piece of kit allowing you to do it pretty well.

I am now edging toward the noctua. Everyone knows noctua and that they are brilliant, but this is the baby unit, I don't want the hassle of fucking about with the huge lumps that may or may not fit (and also fit into the category of overkill as outlined above) and that one seemed like a nice mix.

That one you have seems like a pretty tidy unit mate I like that one. I don't particularly like the styling of the noctua though which is one pitfall, as it isnt really in line with my rig. Saying that i'm not particularly bothered about form over functionality and for the low low price of 45 of her majestys pounds coupled with the name and the reviews it seems like an awesome buy (anything is really compared to the shitty stock cooler I should've gotten around to replacing way before now)

Don't rest on your laurels though everyone else, I will not be buying this till next week as I haven't fully decided yet so any more input is welcome.

Thanks for the effort you two so far as well, much appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 03:31:47 am by groundpounder1 »

Offline Thévol

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 03:39:32 am »
If you want very stable CPU temps, and a cooler that you could overclock with if you ever got in the mood to, I'd suggest Corsair H80
But it all comes down to what CPU you got.

I have an intel i5 760 quad and it's cooled with a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus (One of the best features of this cooler is the price: 22 pounds)
Here is a video of it how well it cools an i5 2500K at 4.3GHz:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 04:12:03 am by TheDevo »
Achievement unlocked!

Offline Thévol

nooblet
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 03:50:22 am »
omg I'm such a noob I quoted my post instead of modifying it.
Achievement unlocked!

Offline groundpounder1

• Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 03:52:27 am »
phenom II black edition 4x 3.2ghz stock right now (I'll be upping that with the inclusion of the new cooler)

And thats the same case as I have in that vid heh.

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

* Navigation

* Statistics

• *Total Members: 254
  • *Latest: Hewlett

• *Total Posts: 19464
  • *Total Topics: 9645
  • *Online Today: 17
  • *Most Online: 112
(December 08, 2012, 10:48:53 am)
  • *Users: 0