Author Topic: AMD Breaks 8GHz Overclock with Upcoming FX Processor, Sets World Record  (Read 3986 times)

Offline Thévol

Is intel "finished"?

While out at an event in AMD’s Austin offices a couple of weeks back, we got a chance to get up close and personal with the company’s upcoming Bulldozer-based FX-line of processors. Many of the details disclosed at the event are still under embargo, but AMD is allowing a bit of a sneak peek with today’s Guinness World Record announcement.

One of the demos at AMD’s HQ consisted of an array of overclocked FX processors, using various cooling methods, including air, water, and phase-change hardware. But the real star of the event was a liquid-nitrogen / liquid-helium setup that allowed AMD’s overclocking team to push a pre-release AMD FX-8150 processor to well over 8GHz, setting a world record for modern processor frequency in the process.

[hs width=300 height=300]http://hothardware.com/newsimages/item18760/big_fx-overclock-14.jpg[/hs] [hs width=300 height=300]http://hothardware.com/newsimages/item18760/big_fx-overclock-13.jpg[/hs]
[hs width=300 height=300]http://hothardware.com/newsimages/item18760/big_fx-overclock-12.jpg[/hs] [hs width=300 height=300]http://hothardware.com/newsimages/item18760/big_fx-overclock-11.jpg[/hs]

AMD’s goals with the overclocking demo were two-fold; to show that there was good frequency headroom in the chips, even at this relatively early stage of production, and to see if FX processors suffered from any “cold-bugs” when run at extreme, low temperatures. What we saw at the event was early FX processors running at around 5GHz with high-end air and water-cooling, in the 6GHz range with phase-change, and well over 8GHz on liquid-nitrogen and liquid-helium. Voltages of over 1.9v were used as well for some of the more extreme tests.

The overclockers working on “Team AMD” at the event were Sami Maekinen, Brian Mchlachlan, Pete Hardman, Aaron Schradin, and Simon Solotko, a senior manager at AMD. The team had access to dozens of early AMD FX-8150
processors and methodically worked through a batch of chips until ultimately hitting a peak of 8.429GHz using liquid-helium, easily breaking the previous record of 8.309GHz. Note that 8.49GHz was attained with only two of the processor’s eight cores enabled.

We have yet to do any personal overclocking tests of our own on an AMD FX processor, but if what we’ve seen so far plays out in the real-world when the chips hit retail, AMD overclockers are in for some serious fun. After some early missteps, it appears that Global Foundries’ 32nm SOI process, which is used to manufacture AMD's new family of processors, is now in good shape, and will likely get even better over time. We’ll all know soon enough once AMD ships the FX in volume in Q4.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 12:11:41 am by TheDevo »
Achievement unlocked!

Offline Super

• GraveDiggaZ
Re: AMD Breaks 8GHz Overclock with Upcoming FX Processor, Sets World Record
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 06:38:57 pm »
very interesting to how they will pit against the Ivy Bridge.
Ivy bridge also seems to be coming in Q4 on a new 2011 socket, with quad channel memory and rumours of 30 % more power than Sandy bridge.

I'd wait with building a new Rig till Q1 2012   ;)
yes, it is a long headshot.

Offline Thévol

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 09:38:27 pm »
very interesting to how they will pit against the Ivy Bridge.
Ivy bridge also seems to be coming in Q4 on a new 2011 socket, with quad channel memory and rumours of 30 % more power than Sandy bridge.

I'd wait with building a new Rig till Q1 2012   ;)
Exactly! It seems that the industry is about to burst with all the new not-yet-released epic products, so the safest would be towards the end of the first quarter of 2012 or in the middle of the second quarter.
Achievement unlocked!

Offline Robba

• BadRobot
  • Administrator
  • Nihilistic Misanthrope
    • gravediggaz.org
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 01:46:59 pm »
Bulldozer is out.
Results are in.
In some tests, AMD Phenom II performed better.
 Fail :(

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4955/the-bulldozer-review-amd-fx8150-tested/7
Sick of this life,Not that you'd care. I'm not the only one with whom these feelings I share..
Nobody understands, quite why we're here, We're searchin' for answers that never appear..
But maybe if I looked real hard I'd I'd see you're tryin' too to understand this life that we're all going through..
(Then when she said she was gonna like wreck my car... I didn't know what to do)

Offline Super

• GraveDiggaZ
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 02:42:16 pm »
pitty...

If they'd put out a more powerful processor, it could seriously lower Sandy bridge and upcoming Ivy bridge prices...
Sadly it won't lower them with this performance.  :'(

Still I think many OEM builders will opt for the cheaper bulldozers over intel's so I'd doubt the processor will be a financial fail.

Offline Robba

• BadRobot
  • Administrator
  • Nihilistic Misanthrope
    • gravediggaz.org
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 02:58:17 pm »
That is true, I'd like to assume as its first gen, it will improve somewhat within the next 12 months hopefully.
Sick of this life,Not that you'd care. I'm not the only one with whom these feelings I share..
Nobody understands, quite why we're here, We're searchin' for answers that never appear..
But maybe if I looked real hard I'd I'd see you're tryin' too to understand this life that we're all going through..
(Then when she said she was gonna like wreck my car... I didn't know what to do)

Offline Super

• GraveDiggaZ
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 12:22:29 pm »
I doubt they'll be making any improvements m8. This is it, this is what it'll do per core.

But I'm sure in a couple of months they'll roll out a 12 and/or a 16 core that will overpower all in multi-threaded applications  :P

Offline Thévol

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 04:11:59 pm »
I doubt they'll be making any improvements m8. This is it, this is what it'll do per core.

But I'm sure in a couple of months they'll roll out a 12 and/or a 16 core that will overpower all in multi-threaded applications  :P

Slap me if I'm wrong, but isn't it kind of pointless to compare CPU's to an APU?
Isn't the whole point of APU that the better AMD GPU you have, the better the APU performs?
It was designed to be dependent on your graphics card, wasn't it?
Achievement unlocked!

Offline Super

• GraveDiggaZ
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 05:02:30 pm »
I wouldn't know m8, I'd agree with what you are saying but really would like to see just how it would scale with a powerful GPU  ::)
weird all the hardware sites are making this comparison without a GPU.

And what I'd wanna know is how powerful it is running @5Ghz, coz it could easily run that speed on proper cooling.

Offline slick

Re: AMD OC Record Broken, Still Powered by AMD FX-8150
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 03:07:25 pm »
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:10:14 pm by slick050 »

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

* Navigation

* Statistics

• *Total Members: 255
  • *Latest: Dearman

• *Total Posts: 19465
  • *Total Topics: 9645
  • *Online Today: 39
  • *Most Online: 112
(December 08, 2012, 10:48:53 am)
  • *Users: 0