Author Topic: Methinks I need a new monitor  (Read 2420 times)

Offline ClassyJack

• Hipster Rockstar
  • Junior Admin
  • Indubitably
Methinks I need a new monitor
« on: December 08, 2013, 11:12:23 pm »
Right so my trusty old Acer 20" 1680x1050 monitor is on its way out I think. I'm getting these diffuse vertical white/green bars on my screen that are most pronounced when the screen is black (not off) so I've been able to ignore them for quite a long time (being a penniless bum necessitated that somewhat) however they're becoming increasingly noticeable and intrusive.

Now being the ignoramus I am I don't know much bout monitors, I do know that marketing people know that idiots like me fall for numbers. "get this product! It has the highest number of gimmick-cycles!" That's how I wound up buying a Prescott Pentium 4 many years ago.
Does something like 5ms response time compared to 10ms, or those high contrast numbers really matter?

I'm also kind of bummed out 16:10 monitors are becoming harder to find, and the ones I can find don't seem to go beyond 1680x1050. Not that I terribly mind staying at this resolution, but my 7870 can do better.

So any tips? Advice? Stats that matter and stats that don't? Brands to look at, brands to stay the hell away from?
Hmm, yes, quite

Offline groundpounder1

• Professional lurker. Amateur everything else
  • Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
Re: Methinks I need a new monitor
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 11:19:51 pm »
I hear good things about BenQ monitors. very popular and good now apparently.  I've never placed much stock in it. I know what all the numbers mean, but they don't really mean much unless you play competitively. Mine is an old samsung 22 inch 1680x1050 and its fine. does everything and more, never degraded, good colours, gets the job done. had it years. Beyond that its personal preference overall. If you want full HD, get the cheapest one you can find with a 5ms refresh if thats what your thing is.

Offline ivox69

• Never to old ;)
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 07:43:55 pm »
Same 1 I use cant fault Samsung had it years never fails ,would get another if had to replace it

Offline king_george

• GameServer Admin
  • Oh, hai!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 09:37:07 pm »
AOC screens are reliable too.
Friend of mine has one fore more than 5 years and he has nothing to complain about.
I myself have a 24" Full HD one for over 1 year and I'm fully satisfied.

Let the wookies hit the floor!

Offline Robba

• BadRobot
  • Administrator
  • Nihilistic Misanthrope
    • gravediggaz.org
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 06:03:49 pm »
AOC are ok, I've got a 1080 here, but unless you use a setsquare to align yourself perfectly in front of it, its rubbish and you can't see shit
Sick of this life,Not that you'd care. I'm not the only one with whom these feelings I share..
Nobody understands, quite why we're here, We're searchin' for answers that never appear..
But maybe if I looked real hard I'd I'd see you're tryin' too to understand this life that we're all going through..
(Then when she said she was gonna like wreck my car... I didn't know what to do)

Offline ClassyJack

• Hipster Rockstar
  • Junior Admin
  • Indubitably
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 09:41:37 pm »
I have primarily been looking at LG, AOC and a BenQ monitor. it's still a bit of a tossup
Hmm, yes, quite

Offline Robba

• BadRobot
  • Administrator
  • Nihilistic Misanthrope
    • gravediggaz.org
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 12:10:24 pm »
HANNS-G > LG > BEN Q > AOC
Also, Dell make really nice screens with great colour and viewing angles
Sick of this life,Not that you'd care. I'm not the only one with whom these feelings I share..
Nobody understands, quite why we're here, We're searchin' for answers that never appear..
But maybe if I looked real hard I'd I'd see you're tryin' too to understand this life that we're all going through..
(Then when she said she was gonna like wreck my car... I didn't know what to do)

Offline ClassyJack

• Hipster Rockstar
  • Junior Admin
  • Indubitably
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 03:32:11 pm »
The Dell IPS screens all seemed to suffer from horrible backlight bleeding. They're designed for office use, not low light level environments like my den of depravity and idleness. Right now I'm installing a BenQ GW2265HM VA screen. Leaving the packaging as intact as possible, so I can return it if necessary.
Hmm, yes, quite

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

* Navigation

* Statistics

• *Total Members: 255
  • *Latest: Dearman

• *Total Posts: 19465
  • *Total Topics: 9645
  • *Online Today: 42
  • *Most Online: 112
(December 08, 2012, 10:48:53 am)
  • *Users: 0