Author Topic: Buying a new pc  (Read 4412 times)

Offline DeepSolver

Buying a new pc
« on: October 04, 2009, 12:22:32 am »
Hey im buying a new pc soon enough. Im still saving nearly there though.. What do you all think of these pc specs, pretty cool? let me know what ya all think thanks..

The price is £439.99 inc vat
Overview

Gaming, movies, office, photo and video editing - the Zoostorm Quad Core can do it all!

It brings you staggering performance for a low price that defies its high specification features. Packed with Microsoft Vista Home Premium, the very latest Intel Quad Core Q8200 processor, a huge 4GB of Ram, an amazing 1TB hard drive and the latest dedicated nVIDIA® 9800GT graphics, this PC system has the lot!

This model comes with Microsoft Windows Vista Premium pre-installed to reduce set up times. Please note that no monitor or Windows CD is supplied with this system, a HDD recovery solution is available on the disk.

Processor

* Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 Quad Core Processor 2.33Ghz,
    * 4MB Cache

Memory

* 4GB DDR2 800Mhz
    * 4GB Max
    * 2 x DIMM memory slot

Hard Drive

* 1TB SATA300

Optical Drive

* Super multi DVDRW

Software

* Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

Display

* Monitor Not Included

Graphics

* nVIDIA® GeForce 9800GT
    * 512MB DDR3

Audio

* 1 set 5.1 channel Audio jacks (3 jacks)

Networking

* Network Interface: 10/100/1000 LAN, Realtek® RTL8111B

Dimensions

* Depth 480mm
    * Width 190mm
    * Height 360mm

Interfaces

* 1 x PS/2 keyboard port
    * 1 x PS/2 mouse port
    * 1 x Parallel port
    * 1 x Serial port
    * 6 x USB 2.0 ports
    * 1 x RJ45 LAN port
    * 1 x VGA port
    * 1 x DVI Port
    * 1 x HDMI Port

Warranty

* This system features a 1 year return-to-base parts and labour warranty.
The link for the pc is http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173367#

Offline Stephen

• Co-Founder
  • GraveDiggaZ
Re: Buying a new pc
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 04:37:08 am »
I can have all that for £7.50

Only difference is..the word memory, the "y" at the end..mine has a "i". So its memori ;)

Offline DeepSolver

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 02:01:44 pm »
Im just wondering if its a good price for the pc, and if its good graphics card etc. it includes no monitor so i will have to buy that myself also, there around £120 to buy. Let me know what you all think about the pc please thanks.

Offline Dutchred72

• GraveDiggaZ
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 07:08:48 pm »
Hi m8, looks sweet exept for the vista thing just hate vista. The quad-core and 9800GT are also gud but only thing u dont know is the manufacturers of the componants. The 9800GT is made by many manufacturers, hope Zoostorm doesnt use rubish.

Greetz D

Offline Robba

• BadRobot
  • Administrator
  • Nihilistic Misanthrope
    • gravediggaz.org
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 11:34:02 pm »
Cpu  .................£90
hard drive......... £50
RAM................ £30
Gfx card............£75
Dvd RW.............£20
case (posh).......£30
Vista ...............£76 (ripoff!)
Average mobo ....£70

Not a bad deal really, you wouldn't really save much if you built it yourself i guess at that price.
The only saving you could get from making it yourself, is flash a modded bios on it, and install win7 for free instead.
But for a pre built on a budget, ya cant go wrong....plus it has a 1 year warranty, so it it breaks ya got no worries.

Shame its out of stock eh? ;)
Sick of this life,Not that you'd care. I'm not the only one with whom these feelings I share..
Nobody understands, quite why we're here, We're searchin' for answers that never appear..
But maybe if I looked real hard I'd I'd see you're tryin' too to understand this life that we're all going through..
(Then when she said she was gonna like wreck my car... I didn't know what to do)

Offline DeepSolver

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 10:09:13 am »
Thanks guys for the reply. How do you find out the manufacturer of the componants? I dont really know nothing about hardware side of things. I was abit weary aswel with the name zoostorm because its not a name im familier with like packard bell, dell etc. And how would i know if they are using good hardware dutchred?

Offline DeepSolver

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 10:11:50 am »
@Rob yeah it might be out of stock now but im wanting to know for when i buy a new pc. What is it you normally look out for when buying a new pc to make sure you made the right choice?

Offline Rebz01

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 12:52:26 pm »
my pc is future proof

hdd: whats that
ram: 2 plastic elephants (never forget)
cpu: 2x hamsters
fans: doesnt need hamsters boh work in shifts
sound: only when hamsters are hungry
gfx: standard monochrome (black & green)

Offline Robba

• BadRobot
  • Administrator
  • Nihilistic Misanthrope
    • gravediggaz.org
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 02:45:27 pm »
Quote from: "Deepsolver"
@Robba™ yeah it might be out of stock now but im wanting to know for when i buy a new pc. What is it you normally look out for when buying a new pc to make sure you made the right choice?

I never buy prebuilt. so i cant really say.

i make my own,ensuring the board sockets are the newest type, so i can upgrade bit by bit over time and not worry about it going out of date.
Plus the thing with pre-built, you can sometimes get stuck with updates for stuff..they may use custom hardware supplied just for them, which only they can supply software/drivers for.....
Take stees pc for instance.... big brand name pc....Gigabyte mobo....Intel chipset.....
Gigabyte dont have the board listed in their site, and provide NO drivers whatsoever for it...and no bios updates.
Same thing with Intel,they supply no southbridge drivers... if i recall, only the realtek sound-card drivers were supplied from somewhere other than the packardbell website..I'm sure ste will correct me if im wrong.

Tricky stuff ;)
Sick of this life,Not that you'd care. I'm not the only one with whom these feelings I share..
Nobody understands, quite why we're here, We're searchin' for answers that never appear..
But maybe if I looked real hard I'd I'd see you're tryin' too to understand this life that we're all going through..
(Then when she said she was gonna like wreck my car... I didn't know what to do)

Offline Super

• GraveDiggaZ
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 03:51:14 pm »
Quote from: "Robsta"
I never buy prebuilt. so i cant really say.
Same here

Quote from: "Robsta"
i make my own,ensuring the board sockets are the newest type, so i can upgrade bit by bit over time and not worry about it going out of date.
Plus the thing with pre-built, you can sometimes get stuck with updates for stuff..they may use custom hardware supplied just for them, which only they can supply software/drivers for.....
Take stees pc for instance.... big brand name pc....Gigabyte mobo....Intel chipset.....
Gigabyte dont have the board listed in their site, and provide NO drivers whatsoever for it...and no bios updates.
Same thing with Intel,they supply no southbridge drivers... if i recall, only the realtek sound-card drivers were supplied from somewhere other than the packardbell website..I'm sure Bond....James Bond will correct me if im wrong.

Tricky stuff ;)

Usually in time it's the motherboard that fails these machines and often a different mobo with a decent chipset and on-board soundcard can do a lot of good.
This zoostorm's mobo is probably not a lot seeing as it can only house a maximum of 4 gig's.
If you look at a midrange mobo that fit's your "775 socket" Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 Processor like for instance the Asus P5Ql PRO: http://http://www.testfreaks.co.uk/motherboards/asus-p5ql-pro/
[youtube:360tbt2g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UHTwPR1L0o&feature=player_embedded#[/youtube:360tbt2g]
It can house up to 16 gigs and is a lot more "future proof".
yes, it is a long headshot.

Offline Super

• GraveDiggaZ
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 04:13:04 pm »
Best to wait for pc's to be sold with win 7 version. they all should switch from vista to win 7 in the next 2 -3 months. Try to get a 64 bit version. as it is a lot more future proof than 32bit windows vista/7 :D
yes, it is a long headshot.

Offline DeepSolver

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 05:30:53 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys. Just so you all know im going to be building my own pc so i know whats going inside it, and it will also be a good opportunity to learn about hardware that way.

Many thanks
Pete

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

* Navigation

* Statistics

• *Total Members: 254
  • *Latest: Hewlett

• *Total Posts: 19464
  • *Total Topics: 9645
  • *Online Today: 30
  • *Most Online: 112
(December 08, 2012, 10:48:53 am)
  • *Users: 0