Author Topic: Pc won't boot with new graphics card (anymore)  (Read 6321 times)

Offline ClassyJack

• Hipster Rockstar
  • Junior Admin
  • Indubitably
Re: Pc won't boot with new graphics card (anymore)
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 02:03:15 am »
There is no way you'd ever get near my pc.

I've built and upgraded a number of systems over the years without issue.
But this...this has me thoroughly confused and frustrated. Kinda like having sex with Akai, but far, far less shame.

So far my secondary rig was able to boot successfully using the 9600 gt and the old 6870. But it failed to even power on with the 7870 installed, nothing happens when I push the on button. And yes I checked the little on/off switch at the back and made sure power was on.
My primary rig failed to power on with both the 6870 and the 7870. Will try my primary rig with the Antec 750 again tomorrow, if I can be arsed enough.
I used to love tinkering with my PC, but this becoming a bloody nuisance.
Hmm, yes, quite

Offline Stormin_Normann

• GraveDiggaZ
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 01:59:53 pm »
Ignore Norm and his old man wafflings. He went the route of trusting in the system and failed miserably. your new card is a beast and as such, requires a beastly PSU.

Utter nonsense - there is NOTHING beasty about that card and as we can se from jackie-boys posts his rig is just a black hole of horrors. Much as GP - but thats another story.

Offline ClassyJack

• Hipster Rockstar
  • Junior Admin
  • Indubitably
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2012, 05:24:03 pm »
Things got better, but are still weird.
I replaced one of the old Sata power cables I was using in my primary rig, with cables that came with the antec psu. I needed a power cable with 4 sata connectors and antec did not provide me with one, but Cooler Master did. Since all the connectors were identical I figured it would work. Anyway after replacing that cable with 2 3-connector cables that came with the antec psu my main pc is now humming away nicely, WITH the 7870 hawk installed.
However I was not using that sata cable when I had the Antec psu and the 7870 in my secondary rig, which still failed to power on using the 7870. Not sure I'll ever figure that one out.
But hey, shit works!

So far.
Hmm, yes, quite

Offline groundpounder1

• Professional lurker. Amateur everything else
  • Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2012, 06:22:11 pm »
You just didnt fit it right in the first place. Occams Razor. The simplest explanation is usually correct, you hear hoof beats, think horses, not zebras, and all that jazz. Either way, best not to question it, long as its working thne accept it ;D

Offline Robba

• BadRobot
  • Administrator
  • Nihilistic Misanthrope
    • gravediggaz.org
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2012, 06:58:39 pm »
Maybe if you removed your penis from the PIC-E slot, it would work better?
Sick of this life,Not that you'd care. I'm not the only one with whom these feelings I share..
Nobody understands, quite why we're here, We're searchin' for answers that never appear..
But maybe if I looked real hard I'd I'd see you're tryin' too to understand this life that we're all going through..
(Then when she said she was gonna like wreck my car... I didn't know what to do)

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

* Navigation

* Statistics

• *Total Members: 254
  • *Latest: Hewlett

• *Total Posts: 19464
  • *Total Topics: 9645
  • *Online Today: 28
  • *Most Online: 112
(December 08, 2012, 10:48:53 am)
  • *Users: 0