Author Topic: Pc won't boot with new graphics card (anymore)  (Read 6530 times)

Offline ClassyJack

• Hipster Rockstar
  • Junior Admin
  • Indubitably
Pc won't boot with new graphics card (anymore)
« on: September 04, 2012, 03:32:28 pm »
Greetings fuckjockeys!

Today I got my hands on a brand new MSI 7870 Hawk (it was a bargain)
I installed it and my pc booted fine, installed the drivers and it worked fine.
I wanted to see how effective the cooling was so I fired up Furmark, an GPU stress test program.
After 30 seconds or so my machine shut down and a red LED lit up on my PowerSupply. I quickly reinstalled my old 6870 and my pc booted up fine again. So it appears nothing was permanently damaged...or so I thought.
I tried the 7870 again to see if it could make it through a game without crashing but my machine won't boot with the 7870 installed, the little red LED comes on again when I hit the 'on' button. I can't tell now if the 7870 is broken or if my 620 watts PSU is just a massive fucking twat.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 04:21:43 pm by ClassyJack »
Hmm, yes, quite

Offline groundpounder1

• Professional lurker. Amateur everything else
  • Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
Re: Pc won't boot with new graphics card (anynmore)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 04:21:33 pm »
Think its fairly obvious if you are having no issue with the 6870 even after the minor scare whilst using the new one. The psu can't run the more powerful card as well as all your other nonsense. As the 7 series are fairly new, and I have a 6870 myself, I presume the demands are a decent step up from that card to the one you now have. Even if the difference in power usage is negligible, it could just be that your rig was operating on the cusp of its limitations beforehand, and the new card is over the edge. 620 seems a bit low for a medium to high end gaming rig. Depends on the brand and other factors naturally, but still. Hazarding a guess I'd say its the psu not the card.

Offline ClassyJack

• Hipster Rockstar
  • Junior Admin
  • Indubitably
Re: Pc won't boot with new graphics card (anymore)
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 04:24:25 pm »
It's a coolermaster PSU. I always thought CM was a great brand, but I've learned their PSU's are a bit iffy.
Thinking of getting a proper Corsair or Seasonic PSU. But they cost more than me nads.
Hmm, yes, quite

Offline groundpounder1

• Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 04:27:52 pm »
coolermaster are brilliant for cases and other odds and ends. top of the line PSU's seem to be corsair right now, or Antec. XFX are good too, but consensus seems to be corsair yeah. For what its worth most test rigs doing benchmarks for that card I have found in a quick search are mostly using corsair tx850 and anything in or above their enthusiast range.

Offline ClassyJack

• Hipster Rockstar
  • Junior Admin
  • Indubitably
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 04:50:35 pm »
Will probably get a HX750w
those Benchmark rigs regularly run Xfire or SLI configurations hence the 850w or more. I'm guessing 750 will be more than enough and allow me lots of headroom for the future :)
Hmm, yes, quite

Offline groundpounder1

• Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 05:04:54 pm »
no dual cards in the ones i looked at, otherwise they would've been useless as information and thus I wouldnt have mentioned it would i...CUNT! But yeah. The wattage they use is largely irrelevant regardless though. They just use a standard setup that is capable of running most shit that can be thrown at it regardless.

I have an OCZ 750w and its served me pretty well thus far. Anything 750 and above by a reliable company should do the job.

\its unfortunate though, you get a beastly card for cheap, then have to spend the money you saved and more to upgrade the PSU as well. Goddamn them all!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 05:21:57 pm by groundpounder1 »

Offline Stormin_Normann

• GraveDiggaZ
Re: Pc won't boot with new graphics card (anynmore)
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 01:24:22 pm »
Think its fairly obvious if you are having no issue with the 6870 even after the minor scare whilst using the new one. The psu can't run the more powerful card as well as all your other nonsense. As the 7 series are fairly new, and I have a 6870 myself, I presume the demands are a decent step up from that card to the one you now have. Even if the difference in power usage is negligible, it could just be that your rig was operating on the cusp of its limitations beforehand, and the new card is over the edge. 620 seems a bit low for a medium to high end gaming rig. Depends on the brand and other factors naturally, but still. Hazarding a guess I'd say its the psu not the card.

BAD Gropo! Making assumptions like that about power demands. Have you forgotten that the 7000 series is based on 28nm technology whereas the 6000 series is @ good old 40 nm? This means the 7000 cards gives you a better power per watt ratio.

From a test matrix the following figures shows this:
6870) min: 92 max: 206
7870) min: 91 max: 203

Source: http://www.hardware.no/artikler/amd-radeon-hd-7850-og-hd-7870/107018/2

AMD's PSU recommandation is as follows (GHZ-edition):
500W (or greater) power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector recommended
600W power supply (or greater) with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended for AMD CrossFire™ technology.

So power-vise he SHOULD be fine, clearly he is not but it should not be because of the 7870s power demands by itself.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 01:28:09 pm by Stormin_Normann »

Offline groundpounder1

• Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 01:42:06 pm »
If stated figures for everything were worth the wank they were written with, ANY thread like this would be redundant. Its all well and good fo a short run, on a test rig, but months? Years old? I believe in experience and logic for the most part. Not the bumpf provided by manufacturers and skewed reviews and texts. There are naturally some truth to figures, but it's not an ideal world and dodgy psu's are ten a penny. I'd love to see a fully functional rig with decent specs last on a 500w. I suppose there is a reason why most decent manufacturers don't lord the press with their new frugal efficient perfect 450w monsters.

Of course, things could swing the other way, and we are being fed propaganda to believe we need higher wattage when something lower is suitable. But for the sake of an extra 30 quid, why would anyone with half a brain take the risk. There may be faulty logic here, but I don't believe it is ALL mine...... :-p
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 01:49:17 pm by groundpounder1 »

Offline Stormin_Normann

• GraveDiggaZ
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 02:00:30 pm »
WALL OF TEXT HERE

Stop trying to save your honor and admit you fucked up :D You can't save this anyways...

Offline groundpounder1

• Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 02:07:20 pm »
Lol how so? You plug a more powerful unit in, the psu shuts down. You plug the old one in, it works fine. My logic, like the Borg, is infallible, and all your figures were nonsense in comparison to a practical mans life jacket- logic and experience. YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH! The prosecution rests m'lud, and other such film related courtroom based quotes.

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

* Navigation

* Statistics

• *Total Members: 255
  • *Latest: Dearman

• *Total Posts: 19465
  • *Total Topics: 9645
  • *Online Today: 42
  • *Most Online: 112
(December 08, 2012, 10:48:53 am)
  • *Users: 0