Author Topic: New CPU cooler. Any input?  (Read 8482 times)

Offline Stormin_Normann

• GraveDiggaZ
Re: New CPU cooler. Any input?
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 04:02:52 am »

Too tired to be helpful, just wanted to spam a bit. I knew this by heart in Ferbruary when I read up on allt the fkin tests for air-coolers but alas, my memory wains. Anyhoo I think those Corsairs that slick mentioned were some of the good ones. Why don't u check on Toms Hardware? Fewk now I had to check: IDK your config so it's kinda hard to say. Both Corsairs and Noctua are good AFAIK so what is your need? Have you thought about an Corsair A70 AirCooler as an alternative? It's supposedly very good (red Norwegian test so link is useless :P) and a lot cheaper. Are you overclocking, i5, i7, AMD? I am running my i5 2500k on stock intel cooler - and it's fine if I don't overclock...

And while I write he posts his configuration and overclocking desires....

Tom's Hardware - Benchmark CPU Temperature (Note that this is the NH-U9B not the SE2 - I can't be bothered going through indivitual tests for you :) )

And

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cooling-watercooling,44.html

Dont let the "watercooling" headline get to you, in the 2010 figures at least theres aircooled as well. And you can see the dB figures too! And remember that DB is a Logarithmic unit...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 04:24:48 am by Stormin_Normann »

Offline groundpounder1

• Professional lurker. Amateur everything else
  • Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 04:09:32 am »
as above. AMD 955 x4 @ 3.2ghz stock. I wasn't too bothered as at normal useage the sound from it and its cooling kept it pretty nice, I have 5 case fans and a decent coolermaster case so things have always been pretty cool so far, but with the advent of more high end games I am noticing the fucking noisy stock cooler more and more. Specially skyrim and BF3 which kicks the shit outta my system and makes the cooler sound like a jet taking off.

I guess something that can keep the system cool, relatively quiet and able to give me a bit of overclocking headroom. As I said above, I could just say fuck it and go for the Noctua 14 but thats overkill and frankly probably too big for my midi case without having to fuck about to the max or blocking my RAM ports off

System spec

Phenom II 955 x4 3.2ghz

Directcu 6870 GFX

8 gig hyperx blu RAM

1TB seagate barracuda HDD

500gb seagate HDD

Will be adding a 120gb vertex 3 SSD next week along with the cooler.

Midi tower case Coolermaster 430 elite.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 04:11:29 am by groundpounder1 »

Offline Stormin_Normann

• GraveDiggaZ
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 04:25:43 am »
I updated with some links we prev. post.

Offline groundpounder1

• Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 04:29:31 am »
Awesome links mate, thanks for that very good stuff. That a70 seems like a bit of a beast. Props to slick for bringing it up I may be swaying to that now.

I also just noticed that the place i'm buying from its a good 20 pounds cheaper for the a70 than the Noctua?? :O
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 04:32:14 am by groundpounder1 »

Offline slick

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 04:40:53 am »
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:36:30 pm by slick050 »

Offline Stormin_Normann

• GraveDiggaZ
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 04:41:38 am »
LOL I was about to get "upset" that u referred to slick as the first to mentione the A70, before I checked and saw that he DID with a huge fkin picture to boot. Blind as a bat I am. On price - yeah, I checked the price on your webshop - hence my cheaper ref.  And then I saw I referenced slick my self so I think I am just going to go to bed now. Seems like it's time for that.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 04:43:40 am by Stormin_Normann »

Offline groundpounder1

• Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 04:45:30 am »
Cheers fellas. I never expected to have my mind so comprehensively changed, but after all that and what I am reading about it myself, it seems like a no brainer. Cheaper by a fair margin and better performing to boot. Unless someone comes up with something totally mental that trounces it I think soon I will be the proud owner of a new a70. Plus point The fans are easily changeable so I may put the money saved towards some uprated fans if I can be bothered. Bonus all around!

Offline Stormin_Normann

• GraveDiggaZ
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 04:48:21 am »
Well - As Slick said - and this time I remeber it - the noise can be an issue - look at the dB figures and remember it's N O T a linear scale.

Offline groundpounder1

• Junior Admin
  • I aint give, no fuck.
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 04:49:51 am »
There is no way on earth its noisier than the stock cooler, not a chance, but as I say, if I want it quieter or cooler etc I can uprate the fans to whatever I fancy, maybe stick the noctua fans on it and get the best of both worlds heh

Offline slick

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 05:00:45 am »
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:36:52 pm by slick050 »

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

* Navigation

* Statistics

• *Total Members: 254
  • *Latest: Hewlett

• *Total Posts: 19464
  • *Total Topics: 9645
  • *Online Today: 25
  • *Most Online: 112
(December 08, 2012, 10:48:53 am)
  • *Users: 0